CALAMBA TO BARCELONA -- 1 MAY to 16 JUNE 1882

[Aboard the Salvadora] 2nd day of my sailing -- [Thursday] -- 4 May

Seasickness has begun today. I got seasick. Throughout the ship they do nothing but conjugate the verb marear (to be seasick)-- old men, children, men, and women do it. Nobody wants to confess that he is seasick, but the truth is many are.

"I've something like an indigestion, but I'm not seasick." "No, oh no, sir, I'm not seasick. I've only a little headache."

I spent the day drawing and sleeping. I was feeling bad. Hardly have I eaten a spoonful.

A Spanish gentleman is traveling with us. He has a beard, eye-glasses, and wrinkled brow; he is tall, well dressed, and uncommunicative. Now and then he speaks to me. Despite his look, he is charming to me.

The sun set as yesterday, but the moon did not appear I until much later.

I fell asleep. I did not take supper. At midnight I went down to my berth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home