CALAMBA TO BARCELONA -- 1 MAY to 16 JUNE 1882

[Aboard the Salvadora] 3rd day -- Friday -- 5 May

I'm very seasick. I slept. I saw some large birds; they entertained me a little.

At lunch time we sat down at the table. I tried to eat; I did well. At the end of the luncheon, a waiter told me that sand banks could be seen. They are called the Shoals of La Plata. They are 440 miles from Manila; that is, we are at one-third of the way. They look like white bands from afar.

I'm less seasick. I feel better. At mealtime I wasn't so bad. A light rain at sunset.

Today I've counted the children and it seems to me they are twelve; the ladies, five; the men, about ten. The children are noisy.

Tonight Messrs. Barco, Morlan, Pardo, Buil, and others were conversing. They talked much about the government in the Philippines. Criticism flowed freely. I discovered that in my poor country all the Spaniards, friars and lay officials alike, are consumed with the desire to suck the blood out of the Indio. There might be exceptions, as they said, but they are rare. This is the source of great evils and enmity between those who quarrel over the same booty.

"I've been very frank," said Morlan, "and I've proven it to all of them. I'm not referring to their private morality; I speak only generally."

"The fact is," replied Pardo, "that for three days to date you have not spoken well of anybody."

Mr. Morlan did not like this and the discussion was taking a bad turn. It seemed that it was going to end badly. It was getting to be an insult. Finally, nothing happened. And gradually they dispersed to go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home