CALAMBA TO BARCELONA -- 1 MAY to 16 JUNE 1882

[Aboard the Salvadora] 4th day (6 May -- Saturday)

The day began as before without any incident.

It seems that ill-feeling continues between Morlan and Pardo.

The ship is rocking less. We have seen the instrument for recording distance and the Captain, who graciously asked me about my health, told me that in nineteen hours we have traveled 156 miles and a fraction.

Tonight we played chess. I won three times. Afterward I saw the sea in the midst of darkness. Oh! There is a certain terrible menace in its frightful loneliness. It seems to be angry and crying for a victim. Unfortunate will be the one who falls into its waves in the midst of its immensity. It seems like a huge monster endowed with infinite life manifested by its continuous movement -- an all-mouth monster; that is, an immense gaping abyss par excellence.

Tonight my traveling companions saw my badly drawn sketches and little pictures. They like them very much. The ex-governor of Antique praised them highly and tomorrow I must make his picture.

We played chess. Mr. Buil, another man, and I conversed a long time.

Afterward we went to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home